Acne is a tiny medical problem with a huge impact on the self-esteem of a patient. Cosmetic queries are the order of the day. ‘Let aside my medical problems, do something about my blemishes’ implore the patients. Hence, I felt a need to write about it.
Acne is an infection of the pent-up (meaning, confined) oil glands (sebaceous glands) in the skin. The oil (sebum) is needed to keep skin soft and supple.
The consumption of salty food, spices and other stimulants increase the production of sebum. Hormonal imbalances due to puberty, contraceptives etc could also be the reason to increased sebum production. The oil seeps out to the skin only if the viscosity (thickness) is low. A thick oil tends to plug and clog the gland, causing hard cystic papules. About 2 liters of plain water intake keeps the oil at a flowing consistency.
A plugged gland with pent up oil leads to discomfort and a tendency to touch the spot. Touching transfers the germs into this pot of oil. The infection converts a hard papule into a soft painful pustule.
Urge to squeeze it out is paramount now!! Doing this leads to further inflammation and long term scars.
1) Eat healthy satvik diet, with low salt, spice and minimal stimulants (coffee, tea, alcohol). Living a healthy lifestyle will deprive you of poor health and fat too.
2) Consume a minimum of 2 liters of water every day. Small daily improvements lead to exceptional results over time.
3) Wash your face at least 2 times per day to keep it clean. Avoid touching and massaging the face unnecessarily. Even if you do so make sure you do it with clean hands only.
4) Avoid too many cosmetics, also frequent change of brands. They can initiate an allergy and also clog the pores. Have a great attitude instead! Reflection in the mirror may be distorted by socially constructed ideas of beauty. Beauty is not flawless, it shines even through your flaws.
5) Finally avoid picking the pimples. Left untouched, they heal faster with no scarring.
A mix of Multani mitti/ gram flour/ green gram powder with a pinch of turmeric can be used to cleanse the face of dust and grime on a daily basis. They help to declog the pores without irritating the skin.
Multanni Mitti+Gram Flour+Turmeric+Green gram flour
Next time when you think of beautiful things, *don’t forget to include yourself in*
Images Source: Creative Commons
Author: Dr Kiran Shanbhag
Dr. Kiran Shanbhag is a Homeopathic physician. She has been practicing from the last 18 years. She is passionate about her work as a Homeopathic doctor and is also passionate about cooking, equity markets and quest into spirituality. All the four have now become an integral part of her life!